Chipotle Crab Cakes, Garden Veggies, Greens and Cheese
Snow crab is plentiful in the grocery store at present and as such is relatively inexpensive. It also provide the wonderfully light meat that makes for an exceptional crab cake. The following meal is terrific for those warm summer nights when you want the contrast of the crisp, cool veggies and greens against the warm and slightly spicy crab cakes.
From time to time we publish recipes that on the surface, may not traditionally be considered “healthy”. However, there is one common theme; they are made fresh, with whole foods that taken individually are superior to any “processed” product. We present recipes in the same mind set for many reasons. One, the recipe is considered to be delicious. Two, it is meant for an occasional meal and not something you would eat every day or a lot of at any one sitting. Three, it is made with whole, fresh ingredients. So the point is, if you what a great entrée/snack/breakfast/desert and feel like being a little adventuresome, make it yourself, indulge and be proud of it!
PS – Any of our recipes may be altered by substituting or removing ingredients for dietary or preference reasons. If you have an aversion or need to reduce salt intake, for example reduce it or leave it out. Recipes are guidelines not written in stone. If you don’t like beets for example, substitute another root crop that you do like. Our goal is to explore the world of whole foods and their delicious combinations and encourage everyone to join their own exploration while avoiding the health risks which may be associated with faux foods, artificial ingredients, and chemically altered food sources. We hope cooking will become a fun and rewarding pass time for you and yours! Equipment/ utensils required: Chef’s knife, cutting board, mixing bowl, spatula, whip, sauté pan, baking sheet
Ingredients: Crab Cakes 2 lbs. snow crab or other crab of choice 1 egg beaten 1/4 cup sweet or red onion minced 1 cup panco bread crumbs 3 tbsp. tomato-pepper-chipotle marinade 2 tbsp. olive oil ¼ cup olive oil for the sauté pan Marinated Cucumbers ½ small cucumber 1 tsp. rice wine vinegar ¼ tsp. raw sugar Sprinkle of Kosher salt 1 tbsp. chopped fennel or dill leaves Garden Veggies, greens and cheese 1 roasted beet sliced 1 cup mixed tender lettuces ½ cup sliced mixed cherry tomatoes 1 avocado sliced 6 oz. mozzarella sliced into medallions Basil, poached garlic lemon juice pesto dressing Yogurt Sauce ½ cup Greek yogurt ½ cup chopped fresh chives 1tbsp. lemon juice Pinch of salt and black pepper If you want a little heat add a dash of hot sauce
1/2 lemon for garnish
Method: 1. Pick the meat from the crab, being sure remove all cartilage and shell. Run you knife through the meat to cut into chunks. Place the meat into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the onion, half the panco bread crumbs, chipotle marinade, salt, pepper, and 2 tbsp. of olive oil to the crab meat and mix gently together.
3. On a cookie sheet or baking pan place remaining bread crumbs have been into four separate piles.
4. Using a 1/3 or ½ cup measuring cup pack the crab mixture into the cup and turn out each onto the top of each bread crumb pile.
5. Place the sheet or pan into the freezer or refrigerator to help cool and solidify the oil and egg in the cake. I prefer the freezer for about 30 or so as it makes handling the delicate cakes easier when adding to the sauté pan later. (Unless you catch the crabs yourself , snow crab and other come fully steamed, cooked from the market so cooking time for the cakes is very minimal)
6. To make the yogurt sauce, just mix all the ingredients together and place in the refrigerator until time to plate the cakes.
7. To make the cucumber salad, mix all ingredients together and place in the refrigerator until ready to plate.
8. Arrange your plates with the sliced beets, tomatoes, avocado, greens, and mozzarella and add ½ the marinated cucumbers over the avocados. The acid will keep the avocados from turning brown while you finish the meal.
9. Heat a sauté pan to medium high, add the ¼ cup olive oil and bring the oil up to just short of smoking and immediately place the semi frozen crab cakes, bread crumb side down into the oil, moving each slightly to be sure of no sticking and cook until the bread crumb side is lightly browned on each, turn and quickly sear the other side. Remove and place on plate.
10. Place about a tbsp. of the yogurt sauce on each cake, dress the greens, mozzarella, etc., with the basil pesto dressing and serve.
Serves Two to Four