Shrimp and Goat Cheese Grits with Roasted Mushrooms
This is a twist on a mushroom and grits dish that we found originally in The Occasional Vegetarian. We had tried the recipe and thought that with a few tweaks it could be an excellent shrimp and grits dish variation. It turned out so well we’ve cooked it twice in the last two weeks. If you like shrimp and grits this is the dish you must try. Add a salad, a glass of wine and...
Equipment/ utensils required: Chef’s knife, cutting board, mixing bowl, measuring cups and spoons, medium stock pot, sieve, sauté pan and baking sheet.
Ingredients: 10 large shrimp veins removed 3 cups of mixed whole and sliced fresh mushrooms. (Portabella, Shitake, Crimini) 1 cup of slow cook grits 2 oz. fresh goat cheese 1 oz. feta cheese 2 tbsp. butter
2 cups milk, non-fat, preferably organic 2 cups unsalted seafood stock 1 jalapeno chopped to small dice 1 bay leaf 1 sprig of rosemary 3 sprigs fresh thyme 5 cloves of garlic, , peeled and smashed ¼ cup olive oil ¼ cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped 2 tbsp. ground black pepper ½ tsp. sea salt
Method: 1. Place the mushrooms in the mixing bowl, add olive oil, thyme, and 4 of the smashed garlic cloves, coating all the mushrooms and then place onto a baking sheet and put into an oven that has been preheated to 400 degrees F. Roast for about 15 to 20 minutes, turn off the oven, cover the mushrooms with foil and leave in the oven to stay warm.
2. Put the seafood stock, milk, jalapeno, the remaining garlic clove, bay leaf, rosemary and salt into a medium saucepan; bring up to a gentle simmer. Remove from the heat and strain out the solids by pouring the liquid through a fine mesh sieve and then pour the liquid back into the saucepan. Save the solids for the shrimp sauté.
3. Bring the liquid to a boil, add the grits, reduce heat and cook 20 minutes or until the grits are slightly stiff and creamy, stirring frequently. Hold covered on warm while you sauté the shrimp. Add the goat cheese and feta; and combine just before plating.
4. Heat a sauté pan to medium; add the butter, the shrimp and the jalapeno, garlic and rosemary removed from the grits liquid. Sauté just long enough to turn the shrimp pink.
5. Place a portion of grits on a plate, add the shrimp and sauce then add the mushrooms. Garnish with the rosemary and a little of the chopped parsley.
6. Add a fresh greens salad as a complimentary side.
Makes: About 4 to 6 servings Nutritional Information per 8 oz. serving: Calories 270, Fat 18.9 gm, Cholesterol 101 mg, Sodium 433 mg, Carbohydrates 11.0 gm, Protein 15.0 gm.